Wood furniture and fixtures look great in your home, but they are very susceptible to water damage. When it does get wet, drying out wood and preventing warping should be your top priority. If the damage comes from flooding or any other serious issue, you might need to look for water damage restoration in San Diego, CA.
Water can damage the ceiling, warp hardwood floors and even crack the foundation. You should be familiar with the ways to be prepared for such situations and protect your foundation. Also, find out if you have adequate water damage insurance.
How do you remove water damage from wood?
Don’t despair if water stains and other damage appear on your wood fixtures, as there are several ways to get rid of them.
- Baking soda – when you mix a tablespoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of water, you get a paste which can be rubbed into the stained spot gently. Don’t overdo the amount of water.
- Ironing – remove water from the iron, put a cotton cloth over the stain and apply a low level of heat for a brief amount of time.
- Toothpaste – take white non-gel toothpaste, squeeze it onto a rag and gently rub it on the stain for less than a minute.
How do you fix water damaged hardwood floors?
San Diego homeowners know that hardwood floors are sensitive and that they should act fast if they get damaged by water.
- Remove surface water – gather water with a squeegee into one spot and then try to vacuum it with an adequate vacuum and extension.
- Scrub the floor – put water in a bucket and mix it with a mild detergent and disinfectant. Use a stiff brush to scrub the affected area, rinse often and scrub thoroughly.
- Treat possible mold – mold might start appearing in places and they need to be treated with a solution of TSP (trisodium phosphate), rinsed with water and dried afterwards.
- Dry the floor – all that remains is to completely dry the floor by using fans and introducing airflow. Open all windows and doors and use dehumidifiers if you have them.
How do you dry out wet wood furniture?
If you want to have a chance of saving your wood furniture after water damage in San Diego, it needs to be properly dried out.
- Take it outside – hose of any dirt and debris, wash with a mild solution of soap and water and rinse. Wipe with towels and rags.
- Open it – remove all doors, drawers and other parts which can be disassembled for better air circulation. Don’t do it forcefully.
- Remove upholstery – if possible, this can speed up the drying process.
- Return it inside – find a shaded area and let it dry.
- Introduce ventilation – use fans, blowers and dehumidifiers if possible for better circulation and faster drying.
KIC Restoration offers unrivalled water damage restoration in San Diego, CA
Some of the water damage on wood can be treated by homeowners, but only professional service providers have all the necessary tools for a quick and efficient intervention. Instead of wasting your time on DIY solutions, call KIC Restoration to care of everything while you visit San Diego Bay. We will act swiftly and minimize the damage you’ve encountered with professional and trustworthy methods.
We pride ourselves on being transparent when it comes to our prices and services required. You will get a fair estimate whenever you contact us, and we are available 24/7 for all types of water-related interventions. Our workmanship warranty is another reason to reach out to us as soon as you need us.