If you’ve had the misfortune of being affected by a fire, there are numerous aspects to consider afterwards. Cleaning up fire damage is key for insurance claims and returning your life to normal. After fire damage in San Diego, it’s best to call a fire restoration company to help you deal with its aftermath.
What is fire damage?
Six types of fire damage
- Class A fire damage – It comes as the result of a fire involving flammable solids, such as paper, various plastics, rubber, wood or cloth.
- Class B fire damage – This damage is the consequence of flammable liquids or solids which have turned liquid. Some of the examples are gasoline and other kinds of oil and petrol, as well as paint, wax and some kinds of plastic.
- Class C fire damage – This is the one category which involves various flammable gasses, such as propane, butane, hydrogen or natural gas.
- Class D fire damage – This damage comes from fires which were caused by combustible metals. These might include potassium, sodium and magnesium.
- Class E fire damage – It is the result of elements from both Class A and B fire damage, combined. Electrical elements are introduced, requiring a different way of battling it.
- Class F fire damage – Cooking oils and fats are what causes this type of damage. The fire is hotter than the one in Class B and poses a greater threat.
Insurance company classification
- Primary fire damage – It is damage sustained as a direct consequence of a flame and includes both residential and commercial fire damage.
- Secondary fire damage – This damage occurs because of smoke and other corrosive substances from the fire. Often, the fire can expose a building to the elements, adding water damage later on.
How do you clean up after a fire?
Safety and protective gear are crucial for any clean-up. When you contact qualified professionals, they will come fully equipped for such a task.
- The roof – Gutters should be cleaned of any debris or soot which can cause additional damage.
- Exterior walls – Work your way from the top down and depending on the type of fire damage, use a washer, stiff brush or paint scraper to clear the surface.
- Windows – After getting rid of all the gunk, use a glass cleaner.
- Introduce air circulation – Open the windows and use the AC and dehumidifier to get rid of the moisture.
- Ceilings and walls – Clean the ceilings first then work your way down the walls and furniture. A homemade solution can reduce stains and prevent mold and mildew.
- Clothes – Some can be taken to the dry cleaner, others will need to be washed a couple of times to get rid of the smoky smell.
- Disposables – There are things which can’t be salvaged, so check electrical equipment, clothes, food, cosmetics and medicine to see which need to be thrown out.
Call KIC Restoration to restore fire damage in San Diego
Regardless of the cause and effect of a fire, KIC Restoration has got you covered for all the restoration needs. We are well-versed in smoke and debris removal and salvaging your belongings.
Our goal is to keep your downtime minimal and allow you to return to normal as soon as possible. Then you can do all the things you’ve planned, such as visiting Mission Trails Regional Park. We are available 24/7 and respond immediately to all inquiries.